Re: [ARSCLIST] Modern Cylinder Phonograph

--- Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  My dad had a
> few tricks on recording from
> Edison horns, but I don't know any of them.

I think the main goal, if you're doing it accoustically, is
to have as little air mass between the diaphragm of the
reproducer and the diaphragm of the microphone as possible.
I picked up a couple old Shure lavs a few years ago.  (These
are the "old school" lavalier mics that hang around your neck
on a cord, not the modern type that clip to a necktie, collar,
etc.) Each one is about the size of a small felt tip marker,
and I'd imagine they'd be just about the right diameter to plug
into the rubber hose in place of the horn, which would
provide the mic with vibration isolation as well as close
coupling to the reproducer diaphragm.  The only thing that's
kept me from trying this is that the TV studio I got them
from cut the cords off to make cords for other mics!  I
need to take the time to get a mic cord, cut the female
end off it and solder it to the terminals of the mic (the
cord is permanently attached for compactness).  Perpetually
deferred project.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx