Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical/Opera biography/discography books by artist?

Doug Henkle wrote:
Looking at the Penguin and Third Ear books which list Classical Music recordings by composer, are there any comparable books that list Classical Music recordings by recording artist? I haven't seen one.

The same question goes for Opera. I have yet to find any book that lists Opera recordings by the soloist performers.

Some books have indexes that list just the names of artists with the page numbers of the classical music recordings they are on, or the Operas they have performed in, but that is not what I am looking for. I have or have seen many books that have alphabetical entries of artists complete with biographies and discographies in other specific genres like, Folk, Country, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Reggae, Hip Hop, Lounge, Irish, Celtic, World and Soul, but not specifically Classical Music or Opera. Why not?

Nothing to suggest for the biographies and such; I'd like to find one myself.

There is a CD-ROM edited by Ommer available from Digitale Bibliothek. It attempts to list all recordings of opera, operetta and oratorio. While it has many errors and is far from complete, it's a fine starting point and is inexpensive.

Ommer offers two tables, one of which is by singer. Each entry gives artist, opera, role and date; a click provides the full listing.

While Digitale Bibliothek itself may be out of Ommer, it was recently available at
http://world.std.com/~shw/
the U.S. dealer.

Highly recommended.

Mike