Re: [ARSCLIST] Mystery laquer of native indian drumming and singing

Somewhere I have a pile of these myself.All 78 RPM,and all from the 1940s.A few years back,I rescued these from a pile of stuff somebody had put out on the curb for the garbage man.Some are just identified as things like "turtle song",if at all.Nobody I offered them to was ever interested.Including the dept. of anthropology,here at UNM.I assume these are all from Arizona or New Mexico. Most of these historical societies/schools,have very limited local interests.

                                         Roger

"Wasserman, Robert A - WHS" <Robert.Wasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Mickey

I don't have time this afternoon to look this up fully, but we got a set
of similar discs. They were copies, or in some cases, maybe unused
takes, for Folkways possibly, see below. Donated a few years ago
indirectly from a western university I think. Some were pristine, some
corroded, I was able to transfer them all I believe. Sam Blowsnake and
the Ho-Chunk(Winnebago) are centered here in Wisconsin.

New Collections in the Archives of the WHS Manuscript Collections:

1. Sam Blowsnake Carley Recordings
Aluminum disc recordings of Sam Blowsnake, a Ho-Chunk Indian, singing
traditional Winnebago songs recorded in 1934 with transcripts of the
recordings in both Winnebago and English.

Robert Wasserman
Robert.Wasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sound Archives Proj. Asst./Lead Tech.
Wisconsin Historical Society