[ARSCLIST] October Issue of Black Grooves

The October issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at
www.blackgrooves.org <http://www.blackgrooves.org/> .

This month we're featuring an eclectic group of world music offerings
including: Singing for Life: Songs of Hope, Healing, and HIV/AIDS in
Uganda from Smithsonian Folkways; the latest release from Zap Mama; a
compilation of previously unreleased Bob Marley & the Wailers tracks
from Rounder; and Ethiogroove, a DVD featuring a live performance by an
American jazz ensemble paired with an Ethiopian singer. Other new DVD
releases include Respect Yourself: The Stax Record Story documentary and
Gil Scott-Heron: The Paris Concert. On the soul side, we've got new
releases by '60s soul singer Bettye LaVette and the neo-soul of Nicole
Willis and the Soul Investigators. Also covered is a blues offering from
The Soul of John Black (aka former Fishbone guitarist John Bigham), and
Dr. Cornel West's new CD, Never Forget: A Journey of Revelations.
Wrapping up this issue is a tribute to Luciano Pavarotti, featuring
video clips of his duets with black artists-don't miss the grand finale
with James Brown!

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

Smith Research Center, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530