Re: [ARSCLIST] 1a.Ruth Rubin 78rpm recordings 1b.Oriole Records

Hi Roger,
Spottswood only goes up to 1942, unless there has been another set published which I haven't seen?
I find the Freedman online catalog both wonderful and frustrating. The mechanical details of the
recordings do not seem to be consistently included, such as the matrix numbers for the Stinson records,
or what media the five items listed for Ruth Rubin R007(f)1-5 "Yiddish Folksongs Ruth Rubin (5")" - I guess
they may be reel to reel tapes, but no information is given (that I see) about the media, nor about the origin
or their content (i.e. are they dubs of 78s, lp's, recitals, recorded for the archive, et.al......).
I did find a reference to Oriole in "The Canadian Encyclopedia". They state a series of 78rpm records
starting in 1945. They indicate that an LP album of children's songs, with acc. by Pete Seeger were
issued by Oriole in 1954 - this may be the same as the Folkways album.
Any further information would be appreciated.
Best wishes, Thomas.

RA Friedman wrote:

Thomas:

Have you checked Spottswood? I'm checked the Freedman online catalog and saw at least one.
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/freedman/lookupalbum?hr=&catlg=029r

Email me off-list and we can discuss more.

RA Friedman, Archivist
Freedman Jewish Music Archive
University of Pennsylvania
rafriedman@xxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of Thomas Stern Sent: Thu 10/4/2007 7:52 PM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Cc: Subject: [ARSCLIST] 1a.Ruth Rubin 78rpm recordings 1b.Oriole Records

	1a. Listed below are the 78rpm recordings by RUTH RUBIN I know of.

	      Does anyone have matrix numbers for the Disc/Stinson material?

	      Were these issued on the ASCH label?

	      Can anyone provide information about any OTHER 78rpm recordings by
	her ?

	1b. The ORIOLE album is album Number 2 - What was album 1 ?

	      Were there any releases subsequent to album 2 ?

	      Does anyone know who owned ORIOLE, when and how long it existed ?

	Thanks for your help!
	Best wishes, Thomas.

	DISC 937  Jewish and Palestinian Folk Songs                   3-10" 78rpm
	  sung by Ruth Rubin with chorus
	  traditional, popular songs from Eastern Europe and Palestine
	album notes and song texts in Yiddish and English by Ruth Rubin
	6704  Mit A Nodl
	          Farbenkt
	6705  Kegen Gold Fun Zun
	         Zhankoye
	6706  Zirmu Galim
	         Artsa Alinu

	Stinson 607  Jewish Folk
	Songs                                               3-10" 78rpm
	607-1  Mit a Nodl/Farbenkt
	607-2  Artsa Alinu/Zimru Galim
	607-3  Zhankoye / Kegn Gold Fun Zun

	ORIOLE (New York)  Album No.2                                      3-10"
	78rpm
	Jewish Folk Songs
	Ruth Rubin
	Ruth Post, piano acc. and arrangements