Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical record regurgitators

Steven Smolian wrote:
In a recent thread there were comments about various encyclopedia-type sets that used recordings from commercial catalogs. None of these was listed in Schwann or available in ordinary record shops. All are mono LPs.

To summarize, here's what I have or can recall:

America Record Society. I have a bunch. Source unknown. Includes excerpt from Hindemith's "Mathis" Symphony- Edited by Father Clement McNaspy. Was this a mail-order distribution, education only, wha? It's at least 50 LPs

The Funk & Wagnalls' Family Library

The Philharmonic Family Library. Source: Music Treasures of the World, possibly Urania (David gideon). Were these a mail-order outfit drawing on Concert Hall?

Concert Hall WAS mail order initially, wasn't it? And recirculated as Musical Masterpiece Society. I'm trying to remember if any Concert Halls ever appeared as Music Treasures of the World (I know ARS discs were reissued there, such as Mystic Trumpeter). dl

Standard Treasury of the World's Great Music. 16 records in an unweildy album.

Basic Library of the World's Greatest Music. 24 Volumes. Published by Standard Reference Works. Supervised by the Funk & Wagnall's Editor in Chief.

The Webster Library, mentioned by David Gideon, is clearly Remington, with artist credits. Some early Remington pressings say "Websterlite." What's with them and Webster?

There are others as well, made for the school market.

My credits are approximate on the above. They'll be more accurate when I get better light where they are stored.

Can this be filled out further?

Steve Smolian