Re: [ARSCLIST] Triggering memories of the so-called "computer" tape of days gone by

Jack Raymond wrote:
Rob Bamberger wrote:

As one who used to buy a couple hundred reels at a time of used, unboxed open-reel tape that reportedly had been used by the Federal Government, I thought some members of the list might be interested in a GAO submission to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. The topic is: "Sale of Magnetic Data Tapes Previously Used by the Government Presents a Low Security Risk"

Back in the 1960s while living in Washington DC I bought a dozen boxes of used tape from a classified ad in the Washington Post and found, to my surprise, that one of them still had audio content. What's more, it recorded the debriefing in Vienna of a man who had just come back from a mission behind the Iron Curtain. Needless to say I contacted the government and FBI agents were quick to respond. They took all 12 boxes of tape and gave me new tape as replacement. A short time later someone surreptiously entered my apartment but apparently took nothing, and I've often wondered if the two events were somehow linked.

-- Jack Raymond

You didn't find 18 minutes missing from any of your tapes?

Presume you weren't living in the Watergate Apartments.

OK, that's all I have for spook jokes at this point, just the obvious ones.

dl