Re: [ARSCLIST] Off-site storage facilities

Bert,

Columbia University, NYPL and Princeton use ReCAP
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/inside/projects/offsite/
to store many items, including audio reels and cassettes. They have not used them to store lacquer discs because of their fragility during transportation.

I did a tour of ReCAP a few weeks ago and it is an impressive operation.

The web page provided includes links to similar projects at the bottom.

Hope this helps,

Marcos

Bertram Lyons wrote:
Does anyone have experience with high-density off-site storage
facilities (as attached to University Libraries)? I am researching the
needs for re-locating a small LP collection (2000+ items) from on-site
to off-site storage. Currently the LPs are stored on shelves, vertically
and individually. I think it'd be best to store them in boxes in the
off-site storage facility. We're exploring the idea of hinged-lid boxes
(http://www.metaledgeinc.com/Products.tpl?cart=119005978813882535&id1=25&id2=143&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=143&--SECTIONSword=ww&ran=2622)
that hold about 20-25 records per box.

How are others storing LPs in off-site facilities?

Are other Universities or institutions using off-site storage for
high-value/low-use LP collections (not to mention more fragile recorded
sound collections, i.e. lacquer discs, magnetic tape, cylinders, etc.)?

Thanks in advance --

Bertram Lyons

Media Preservation
University of Kansas Libraries

and

Project Manager / Dissemination Coordinator
Association for Cultural Equity
Alan Lomax Archive
450 West 41st Street, Room 606
New York, NY 10036
901-508-6631
www.culturalequity.org

-- Marcos Sueiro Bal Audio/Moving Image Project Archivist Preservation Division Columbia University Libraries