Re: [ARSCLIST] formats: Racal Wordsafe, RSC Tracker

Hi, Tom,

There is a quest to preserve lots of things.

As to the 9/11 9-11 tapes, the City of New York has a local contractor working on it and they apparently had gotten rid of the playback machines and he contacted me, but I didn't think my 20-channel 1/2-inch Dictaphone was robust enough to do the job and required too many mods. I don't know what they've done.

I was contacted by a Scandinavian national organization that had a lot of broadcast logger tapes that they had decided to save in a 5-track (4 audio tracks plus timecode) 1/4-inch format. Joe Dundovic had two of these heads. I got one a long time ago and I pointed the Scandinavian to Joe to get the other.

IF we are going to preserve some of this oddball stuff, the sooner the better. We have a much better chance of playing 2-track 15 in/s 1/4-inch tape next decade than some of this stuff.

Also, some of this stuff is still be used in legal proceedings--another contact since I've been back from vacation also looking for some Racal stuff.

For the record, I only have Racal INSTRUMENTATION recorders -- (3) 1/4-inch 4-track (15/16-60 in/s) and (1) 1/2-inch 7-track. These take small reels (up to 8" only), with the 1/2-inch being on NAB hubs. These are the Racal Store 4DS and 7DS, respectively.

With all of these formats being semi-proprietary, you practically need a player for each format--or at least a robust transport and head assemblies and timecode readers from each format.

While I agree that telemarketer and service centre calls are pretty boring--and even run-of-the-mill 9-11 calls are boring (my second 40-track 1-inch recorder came with a test tape from Kansas City 9-11), the Scandinavian group, if I recall correctly, were preserving program logging tapes as many of the shows were not recorded in any other way.

Cheers,

Richard