Re: [ARSCLIST] formats: Racal Wordsafe, RSC Tracker

Hi, Brandon,

In re-reading my message (since snipped), I wasn't clear. It is my understanding that every manufacturer of analog logging recorders used a different timecode format. This may not be totally true, but it is the "scuttlebutt" that I have heard. The goal, between incompatible track formats and proprietary timecode appeared to be keeping in the "fold" of users.

Other than Racal, there were the Dictaphone, Metrotech, and Stancil (or Stancil-Hoffman) loggers at least, perhaps more. Some reel loggers incremented in groups of 8 tracks and others in groups of 10 tracks.

Also, some logger families had playback heads that would read one track and were manually adjusted up and down to get to the track, further complicating the digital capture process.

Cheers,

Richard