Re: [ARSCLIST] Cracked Cylinder Record

Someone has loaned me a cylinder record of about 1905,
containing a one-only recording of a folksong by turn-of-the-
century railway workers.     The record has an irregular
hairline crack full length.

I am attempting to acquire a reasonable audio recording off this
cylinder as being played on my restored Edison Triumph cylinder
phonograph.

I'm recording straight into Cool Edit Pro 2 in my laptop, a
process I've used successfully for many cylinder records.

Because of the hairline crack, every resolution produces a
resounding "click".

In CoolEditPro, I can use automatic click removal, but that
automatic process leaves behind a tiny moment of silence for
everything it removes.

If I expand the wave display so I can identify and delete the
clicks manually, there is no gap, the click simply disappears
with no moment of silence, which is what I want.

I really want to avoid having to spend an entire weekend going
through the WAV file click by click by click by nauseating
click.

Does any one out there know if CoolEdit Pro can be told to
delete such clicks automatically, without leaving behind a
zillion tiny moments of silence?

Alternatively, is there an audio editor out there that can
remove these clicks automatically without leaving behind these
tiny moments of silence?

Or am I doomed to a weekend of agony?

Thoughts of others?

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Terry Smythe                           204-832-3982 (land line)
55 Rowand Avenue                   204-981-3229 (cell)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   R3J 2N6           smythe@xxxxxxx
Preserving a unique slice of our Musical Heritage
http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/rebirth.htm