Re: [ARSCLIST] "hard drive on a shelf"

We once had a posting to this list by someone who was involved with the manufaturing and/or maintainence of stand alone hard drives. His concern was that the lubrcants would harden or otherwise change and could not be restored.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "hard drive on a shelf"

On 17/07/07, Jeffrey Kane wrote:

Humidity is the enemy more than temperature. Corresponding anti-static
measures are vital. A 'dry cabinet' will be essential. Also, contrary
to film and tape storage, you want the temperature to be warmer.
Thanks to RoHS, tin pest is a distant but real concern especially
given that you intend to shelf store the drives. Below 13c/55F, tin
changes structure. This change can cause solder joints to fail.

I am, of course, sidestepping discussion of why using HDDs for
archival storage is a bad idea.

I think the most likely thing to fail on a hard drive long term is
capacitors on the circuit board.

But more likely is that, when the drive is brought out of its cupboard
25 years later, there will be no equipment to connect it to and no
operating system that can read the file format. Try getting data off a
25 year old cp/m drive today.

Regards
--
Don Cox