Re: [ARSCLIST] Radio--was: PRO For Polka Recordings

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> > Fortunately, SOCAN has not yet started "demanding tribute" from Canadian
> > "webcasters!"
> >
> On the other hand, they're now going after beauty salons and hairdressing
> establishments that play music on the radio. Public performance? Cough up!
> Wouldn't it be a hoot..or a cruel joke..if for some reason the only music
> exempt from copyright payment was polkas? Death By Accordion.

Saw that in to-day's Star...and I'm kinda worried (on two counts...)!

First, being a collector of sound recordings and a VERY part-time musicianer,
I occasionally whistle, hum or sing (to myself...however, audible to others
nearby...!) popular tunes which I happen to recall. Given this fact, am I
liable for payment to SOCAN, CMRRA, or both, as far as any royalties due
to the composer(s), lyricist(s) and/or publishers of the aforementioned
tunes...?

Second...once I get my "78 deck" up and running...and can once again play
discs from my half-vast shellac archive...IF these can be heard by others
passing by my abode...or IF I invite others (as I used to do back in my
Pape-Avenue days, when myself, Jeff Healey, Harold Gast and other vintage-
music aficianados used to gather, each with a stack of favourie 78's and
a twelve-pack or two, and play, discuss and debate fine points of various
vintage sound recordings...am I thus liable for licenses and/or royalties
relevant to the "public performance of registered musical numbers"...?!

Third...whenever I have the "same song running through my head, and I
can't get rid of the dommed thing"...am I required to count the number
of reoccurences of the aforesaid tune, and then file the appropriate
form(s), along with the requisite payment (on a per-occurrence basis!)
applicable to the use of a registered musical selection...?!

A worried public awaits...!