Re: [ARSCLIST] off-topic: guilty pleasure in hi-fi demo records

rodbrown <rodbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  ***I'm sure there must be any number of similar efforts committed to
vinyl by various companies who sought to interest the public in a
particular label, or a brand of equipment, or a supposed technical breakthrough. Was this record a better-than-average example of a genre? Would any of you care to mention any fond recollections on this type of recording? Any recommendations?

***(I'm presently a little less interested in LPs full of pink noise or
selected sine waves [the more technically-oriented 'test' records]
though those can be intriguing too.)

  I have about 50 or so such records, the demo sort and the "test" records. As to which ones are better than others...I guess it depends on one's perspective. I enjoy the discs that have spoken commentary, especially since most of it sounds pretentious. Some of the test records have covers which feature pictures of old equipment...and yes, I have a section in my collection which features covers that have pictures of record players. No doubt a discography is needed?

  As for test records, my favorite test of a system comes not from a record so designated, but from the Miss Piggy workout record. On the first track she gives you a workout for your stereo "dolby on, dolby off," etc. It is a must have for the "hi fi" enthusiast.

  Be sure to check out the "Living Stereo" and related films at the Prelinger Archive. I put most of those on DVD.

  Karl