Re: [ARSCLIST] off-topic: guilty pleasure in hi-fi demo records

----- Original Message -----
From: "rodbrown" <rodbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm timidly un-lurking for a moment because I have a question for
> which I'm sure the ARSClist subscribership would have a broad range
> of useful, informed opinions.
>
> I've recently become reacquainted with an LP I really enjoyed as a
> kid: "An Adventure In High Fidelity", subtitled "A 'New Orthophonic'
> High Fidelity Recording." This is an RCA Victor boxed set, LM-1802. I
> find I still enjoy hearing this old record.
>
> It purports to present great-sounding (monaural) classical and
> semi-classical music, but also offers some very entertaining pop
> instrumentals. It's an interesting listen, full of ear-catching,
> exotic sounds, highs and lows, softs and louds. It tries to be all
> things to a broad range of listeners, and doesn't fail too badly,
> seems to me.
>
> I'm sure there must be any number of similar efforts committed to
> vinyl by various companies who sought to interest the public in a
> particular label, or a brand of equipment, or a supposed technical
> breakthrough. Was this record a better-than-average example of a
> genre? Would any of you care to mention any fond recollections on
> this type of recording? Any recommendations?

Well, I can only comment on/in my own area of expertise...that being
"one level earlier" in technical terms (shellac 78rpm discs...!).
And there WERE a number of "demonstration records" issued from the
beginning of that format onward. I have heard, and seen, "demonstration
records" made by Berliner c.1900, to be played for potential machine
buyers (don't own copies, though...!). Columbia issued at least three
different such discs (with a fourth version for Canada only...!)...Victor
issued several different records in their D- series...I have similar discs
on the Perfect, Bell and Gennett labels...and Philco issued two c.1930
discs intended to sell their radio-phonograph sets, along with a set of
several c.1940 "demo discs" of the same sort, which feature Columbia
artists and are on the Columbia label. I also own a Hit-Of-The-Week disc
featuring a "Medley Of Canadian Songs," which may have been used for
promotion here in Canada (and bears a rubber-stamped "Sample" legend
as well). And...Victor DID issue a "promo record" for their first 33-1/3
"Program Transcription" line...with a "DL-" number.