Re: [ARSCLIST] Urgent Message From SaveNetRadio

On 15/07/07, Bob Olhsson wrote:

> [...]
There's plenty of live music in pubs and clubs, too.

And why do you say "stadium and arena"? I was talking about festivals.

Neither the Edinburgh, nor the Aldeburgh, nor the Glastonbury festivals
existed before recording. There were no concerts of folk music
(Cambridge Folk Festival, for instance). Nothing like WOMAD.

Certainly nothing like Mali's Festival in the Desert - and I would argue
that it is recordings that have made these musicians and their styles of
music well enough known world wide to make such a festival viable.
http://www.sagatours.com/essakane.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mobilevirgin/sets/72157594489188098/
Looks like live music to me.

Check this page and follow some links:
http://www.classical.net/music/links/musicfest.html

Of course I have no such list for 1907, but I would be amazed if it was
a fraction of the number.

To take a very narrow field, this page lists just choral concerts in the
UK:
http://www.concertfinder.co.uk/

Or another narrow field: big band swing music. There is a program of
classic big band recordings on BBC Radio 2 every Sunday. At the end, he
lists live concerts for the week, and there are never less than half a
dozen. These are imitation Glenn Miller, etc, which I would have thought
was a tiny minority interest - yet the bands seem to have regular work.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx