[ARSCLIST] Malcolm's Hawaiian Discog is here!!

Just got my copy of Mal Rockwell's Hawaiian discography and am delighted
with it! At 1,419 pages, it would have taken up a hefty space on my bookshelf,
but Mal made the sound decision to issue it on CD-ROM so it's nice and compact.
 Well-laid out, oodles of info and as good and complete as any discography
I've  seen. A genre discography is the hardest one to write, because there are
all  kinds of judgment calls the author has to make. Mal decided not to
document  Hawaiian artists, but Hawaiian songs - thus, we find 6 pages just of
Hawaiian  songs recorded by Bing Crosby. By comparison, the Frank Ferera section
goes from  page 247 to page 330!

I have only two constructive criticisms of the book (having only "paged"
through it). It would have helped navigating if artist headings were put at the
top of each page. The discography almost falls into the same trap the revised
Rust book fell into - you have to go several pages before finding what entry
you're in. Fortunately, for each session, the book shows how the artist was
listed for that session - such as:

as Bing Crosby with Ken Darby Orchestra & Chorus

...so you can tell what page you are on by glancing down.

The other critique is that Malcolm continues to spell my name with two
"N's." If you bought more of MY books, Mal, you wouldn't make that  mistake!!

Just joshing - it's really a fabulous effort. I hope you make enough money
to stack up to the top of Haleakela.
Many mazel tovs.

Cary  Ginell
Origin Jazz  Library