To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP pressing question

-----Original Message-----
From Tom Fine: "how many cutters were there at Motown and what was your
system?"

We had a Neumann ES-59 half speed mono system and finally added a stereo system in 1968 when the superb Neumann SX-68 cutter came out.

For the most part we were cutting master prototypes that Randy Kling at RCA
in Chicago had to match using their Scully/Westrex systems for the
production masters. We only cut production masters when there wasn't enough
time to go the RCA route. Typically this happened when an artist got offered
a last minute Ed Sullivan Show appearance.

We preferred RCA production masters and plating because they could fix any
skipping problems in a day rather than the week it would take using indi
plating plants. In the pop music business timing and the ability to put your
ducks in a row is frequently the difference between a hit record and a
stiff. In the mid '60s RCA was pressing more Motown singles than RCA
singles. And that didn't include the reorders which were done by three indi
plants, Monarch in LA and two others which were half-owned by Motown!

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com