Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

When doing tests, most tube designs do show greater dynamic headroom (which is different from dynamic range). Headroom is instantaneous power--like bass drum and gong whacks. Perhaps the greater complexity of the transistor circuits are a limitation. I do know that most, but not all, transistor designs have more loop feedback because a transistor has more open loop distortion than a triode (I don't know how an FET would compare to a popular output pentode like an el34 or kt88). Perhaps the greater number of stages and complexity in a transistor amp causes it to fall apart at the limits. I don't know. Perhaps one thing to consider is that tubes are thermionic devices and behave nothing like transistors. Perhaps the tube, since it's absolute maximum limitations can be exceeded momentarily, are just able to do 110% (like something an athlete would say). The maximum ratings on a tube can be exceeded without destroying the tube. Yes, the tube will wear out real fast, but it won't catastrophically fail like transistors. If you over-current a transistor, then POOF, you release the magic smoke and no more transistor. One of the reasons the military and FAA kept tubes around until the early '90s was that most tube electronics aren't destroyed by electromagnetic pulses (EMP) from a nuclear explosion. The only way to destroy most tubes is excessive heat/current. An over-voltage that lasts for a microsecond won't pose that much of a problem for a tube circuit--it just soft clips. There are all kinds of losses in a tube design that make it more forgiving. All things being equal, I'd rather record or reproduce with tubes because they compress instead of distorting in the gross way a transistor will. I think the reason I prefer tubes is that you don't need as much feedback for acceptable performance, which means superior TIM numbers, something I think I can hear.
Phillip