Re: [ARSCLIST] Is The Record Shop Dead?

Philadelphia Matthew, very close really.

AA

Matthew Barton wrote:
What part of the country are you talking about?

Matthew Barton
MBRS
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540-4610
202-707-5508
email: mbarton@xxxxxxx

Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> 6/29/2007 11:07:57 AM >>>
Actually, at least here in these parts that institution still exists and I am truly thankful that it does. No fewer than 5 within 5-7 miles of each other. I know that sounds crazy but its true. I actually think that a small footprint chain that sold nothing but vinyl
would do really well. Vinyl sales are up 30% in the last year and I see no end in sight. If someone carried Dylan, Tool, Coltrane,
Outkast and a bunch of great music on wax I bet it would do really well. Stroll in, buy a few albums, and get that elated, "I just bought 'Introducing Roland Kirk' on a 180 gram pressing feeling". There is still nothing like it. Viva Vinyl anyone?

AA

phillip holmes wrote:
The real record shop died a slow death in the '90s. What I mean by real is: 33, 45, and 78 rpm; all genres; record care supplies; ephemera; the selection of replacement styli; the stylus magnifier; the audition turntable and headphones; tobacco smoke _OR_ an old man chewing a cigar _OR_ the hourly help dealing pot out the back (but preferably all three); two pair of JBL L100 on the walls; cardboard stand-up Beatles; a ceramic nipper somewhere in the store; at least one crotchety old worker and one bipolar young worker; a jaded owner that USED to be in "the business"; the smell of paper aging (the not acid-free kind); and let's not forget the most important part of a real record shop--delusional and weird record collectors. Yes, it's dead.
Phillip

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/music_week/agenda_recordshops.shtml ---------------------------------
Be a PS3 game guru.