Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: A message from The Recording Academy President

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> FYI
> Member Services <memservices@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> More than three years ago during my first speech in Washington as President
> of The Recording Academy, I called on Congress to enact a performance
> royalty for artists when their recordings are played on the radio. Last
> week, The Academy and a coalition of music groups launched a major campaign
> to turn this call to action into a reality. The musicFIRST campaign has
> begun.
<snip>

Well...this is more or less a situation of one "dead horse" kicking
another one! The "recording industry"...particularly its US incarnation...
is a rapidly-declining operation, barely hanging on financially. Meanwhile,
terrestrial radio has essentially been rendered superfluous by various
services which can also provide music to its consumers!

In fact, I would compare this to, say, some group insisting that any
persons pictured in "magic lantern" slides deserved a percentage of
any admission fees collected for public showings thereof...!