Re: [ARSCLIST] Dataloggers

Andy,

This is what our Conservation department suggested:

Hi Marcos,

I am not sure of the size of the storage area requiring environmental monitoring, but can recommend 2 systems.

1. The Preservation Environmental Monitor by Image Permanence Institute (better known as a PEM) records temperature and humidity data onto a SRAM card. The data can then be transferred to a computer and read through IPI's Climate Notebook software. It can be moved about easily and is relatively low maintenance in its use. Here is a link for more information: http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/shtml_sub/cat_hardsoft_pem.asp

2. Hanwell radiologgers transmit environmental data through radio signals, so environmental readings can be read in real time off of a computer. The set up requires a contractor to install the system as it involves finding fixed locations from which the radiologgers and receivers can transmit information. Hanwell's system removes the step of having to collect the data from a station, however, the radiologgers require battery changes about 2-3 times a year. Here is a link for further investigation: http://www.hanwell.com/sr-1.html

Both systems are quite different and have positive and negative sides depending on space and location(s) being monitored, I would be happy to discuss them further should you need.
I hope that this helps.
Best,
Vasare

Andy Lanset wrote:
Hello friends,

Thanks for you input on Laughing Records.  I've got another
query.

Is there a temperature/humidity datalogger/monitor anyone can recommend with
for their controlled storage area(s).

Thanks.

Andy Lanset
WNYC Radio

-- Marcos Sueiro Bal Audio/Moving Image Project Archivist Preservation Division Columbia University Libraries