Re: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

On 18/06/07, Jack Palmer wrote:

> Just to show how far out of touch with the current world, what is
> SACD? It may be all around me but I have not heard about it
> personally. I am assuming it is a step up from DVD. I've barely
> managed to leave video for DVD. Jack

It is an improved audio CD with two layers. One layer is standard CD and
plays in any CD player. The second layer has 24-bit sound, which may be
stereo, 3-track, or surround. This will play in many DVD players, but
not all.

Notable releases have been several dozen RCA Living Stereo (in 2 or 3
track) and 18 Mercury Living Presence titles. In both cases the sound is
much improved over the plain CD version. I think we are getting very
close to the sound of original master tapes.

One company, Pentatone, has been issuing not only new recordings in
surround but versions of many records which were originally made for
Quadraphonic discs in the 70s.

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/

Not much rock or pop has been released on SACD, probably because the
original sound quality of the tapes isn't good enough to justify it.
There are several early Bob Dylan albums available.

This site will give you an idea of what is around:

http://www.SA-CD.net/home

Look on the front of your DVD player. You may or may not see an SACD
logo.

Regards
--
Don Cox