Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitization of Paper Archives

Karl Miller wrote:

> Do you have enough staff to address all of your preservation needs?

No, but at least NYPL doesn't cry poverty over preservation at the exact
same time that it's spending huge amounts to acquire collections. In fact,
as a general rule no money (to my knowledge) is spent to acquire archival
materials. Donations only. There may (probably are, but that's only my
supposition)  be cases where a donor supplies money for preservation, but
I'm sure that's a rare exception, if it happens at all.

> How much paper is in need of scanning? If you are suggesting that we, as
a society, are spending enough to preserve our history, I would  disagree
with you.

I don't argue that at all (and I don't regard scanning as a preservation
measure anyway. Access, yes.). But I would argue that if UT can afford to
scan at least some significant items but doesn't either because they're
luddites or because they're bureaucratically-challenged, that's just
inexcusable.

> You also raise the significant point about the marketplace. I find it
very sad that the spending has given >writers, and their heirs, a sense
that they can make >so much money from their papers. It can, and to some
extent, >has become similar to the art market. On the other hand, should
not an author be able to make >money on having >developed a reputation?

Yes, but not everybody is worth the amount paid for, say, Joyce or Mailer
manuscripts. It's not so much that money is paid for materials, it's the
amounts involved. Collectors can pay what they want, but I feel that
institutions should not contribute to the problem, even though I know why
they do: they want the stuff, and it's very hard to argue that they
shouldn't get it if they have the resources.

> On the subject of acquisitions, who should make the decisions about what
to acquire and how much money should be >spent. What criteria should be
used? >Who would be qualified to make those decisions? What sort of
background should >they have to make those decisions? Where do they get
their training? >Who should decide the fund raising priorities >for
acquisitions? How much lattitude should that individual have in making
those decisions?
>  I would also wonder about your library. What are the criteria for your
collection to accept the archives of a >composer? Would you accept the
collection of a >composer like John Pozdro? John wonders what will become
of his >manuscripts. How about the manuscripts of the late Forrest
Goodenough? They are >sitting in a room in my home. I >have my own music
compositions, works for orchestra, and ensembles...would your library be
interested? Then there >are >those 8 inch floppies I have of my work on
the Fairlight. Would you be able to reformat those? Would you be
>interested in having them? Or, would you rather >have my correspondence
with composers like Piston, Schuman, >Mathias? Rough questions I would
think...

You're talking about the appraisal process, which is what archivists go
through when the opportunity to get hold of a collection presents itself.
Decisions like these, some even more complex than ones you outline, are
made every single day. The decision is helped along in part by the mission
statement of the archives. In the case of NYPL Music Division (for whom I
process collections, but I am not involved at all with acquisitions), the
focus of the collection is American music. Beyond that, a myriad of
factors come in: what can the institution afford to take in in terms of
space, processing resources, preservation needs, etc? How significant is
the subject relative to American music and to the other collections in
NYPL? Significance, of course, can be highly subjective, but that's simply
the way it is; everybody has biases, but a professional tries to stay as
objective as possible.

The chief of Music Div is an archivist and a musician and composer himself
of catholic tastes who is widely knowledgeable about American music, and
has people working for him who also have vast knowledge in different
areas. Nobody is perfect, but with decades of experience they seem to be
able sniff out wheat from chaff. They've taken in both very famous and
obviously significant collections (John Cage, Vincent Persichetti, Henry
Cowell, Norman Dello Joio, John Becker, Teo Macero, Meredith Monk, Jerry
Bock, Benny Goodman), and other lesser-knowns (Mary Howe, Louis Gruenberg,
Buster Davis, Ross Lee Finney, Miriam Gideon, Ellis Kohs). John Pozdro
should definitely contact Music Div. if he's interested in donating his
papers: he's an American composer, so why not? They'll definitely give him
a hearing, though I can't guarantee anything, of course. Same for the
family of Forrest Goodenough. Half the battle is getting these people to
actually CONTACT an institution; the curators are not mindreaders: they
keep their ears to the ground, but if they don't know about the
availability a collection or have never heard of the person, they simply
won't know to ask. That doesn't mean they won't give it a fair hearing,
though. I recently hooked up the family of a recently-deceased musician
with Music Div., and even though they hadn't heard of the musician before,
they were very interested once I explained who the person was and what his
musical importance was.

Yes, these are all important, sometimes even rough questions, but they're
not in any way unfamiliar or strange to an archivist with knowledge,
proper subject background and experience.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library