Re: [ARSCLIST] OK - Does Anyone Know More About This?

FWIW,

 Magnecorder had a modification kit which allowed 10.5 inch reels to
run
on the Pt 6. I have one of these machines with the kit..

Bob H.

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 6/14/2007 8:40 PM >>>
Hi David:

Of course I can't put my hand on any of Bert's articles about those
days right now (I believe he
wrote about it some for Radio & TV News in the 50's and then later at
greater length in Audio
magazine in the 70's), but I think he was running snippets of the
sessions onto tapes, experimenting
with mic placement and maybe levels or the like. The Magnecorder, I
think, used 7" reels, so if he
was going at 15IPS he'd have to be changing tapes frequently. He may
have been told to only record X
minutes of any session but I'm not sure about that because I was under
the impression that he was
pretty much given carte blanche. I imagine it was a trip working with
Stokowski in what was by far
the highest-fidelity stereo medium yet at that point. Stokowski was
veteran of Bell Labs stereo disk
recordings in the 30's and Fantasound optical recordings, so I imagine
he was tough customer about
what sounded right from tape. And he and Bert worked together again
when Stokowski recorded for
Everest.

Speaking of Bert Whyte, he wrote a really nice column after he was
introduced to Mercury 3-channel
stereo:
http://www.wendycarlos.com/surround/surround6.html#column2
Fact correction: the listening venue was actually Fine Sound Studio C
at 711 5th Ave. (today it's
the Coke building, owned by Coca-Cola Co.). I agree with Bert -- there
should have been a 3-channel
consumer medium but it was thought just too complex and expensive at
the time (and, based on how
well quad and later SACD did in the marketplace, perhaps the thinking
was right -- plus no one had
any ideas about a 3-channel disk medium). One other interesting thing
-- Ampex was able to build
3-channel tape machines as early as 9/53 (Ross Snyder of Ampex wrote an
article for International
Sound Technician magazine that showed pictures of a 3-track headstack
and described 3-track magnetic
recording on 1/2" tape), but no one started recording music in 3-tracks
until 1955.

-- Tom Fine