Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitization of Paper Archives

On 13 Jun 2007 at 14:43, Karl Miller wrote:

> I have had the opportunity to work with Tom

While I am somewhat selfish in my disappointment with his
position on digitization of original literature, I am
nonetheless grateful that he and others like him do make it
their passion to acquire and protect important collections.

Possibly at some unknown time in the future as technology
improves, labor requirement shrinks, attitudes change, et al,
that such collections may gradually become digitized.    Likely
not in my lifetime, but generations to come will be the
beneficiaries.

> Turner was a collector who believed that the value of a
> collection was measured by its uniqueness. Someone once quoted
> him as saying, "if I am going to pay $X for something, making
> a photocopy of it is like throwing the money away."

I too am a collector, but my perception is that in acquiring a
rare document, I have saved it from destruction and have an
obligation to share with the world and future generations.   Why
should I be the only one to view and enjoy such documents?

I am also very much aware that many collectors do not share my
viewpoint, preferring to covet rather than share.     That is
their prerogative which I will not dispute.     Hopefully, their
heirs will one day feel differently.

> Finally, after several years of pushing by scholars and the
> staff, the rules were changed and photocopies are now allowed

The electronic process of making a photocopy is no different
than the electronic process of digitization.     The former
allows for only a single copy, while digitization allows for
multiple sharing.   The labor involved is about the same.

> As for not digitizing being an impediment to scholarship
> and research...it is, for me, nothing when compared to the
> limits imposed by the copyrights.

Agreed.    In our view, we are very much aware that the vast
majority of original literature in which we researchers focus on
is long since out of copyright protection.   A huge blessing,
dramatically easing the process.

> I believe that in spite of the massive problems with the
> preservation of digital information, a good arguement can be
> made in support of that notion.

Agreed.   There is no question that original literature can be
reasonaly assumed to have a life of about a century, while
digital data has a dramatically shorter life not only on the
original media, but also in the technology of that media.   I
have noted significant grants being awarded to research digital
preservation.      Until resolved, the principle of LOCLLITW
(Lots of Copies Like Leaves In The Wind) applies.

> Some are doing a good job. I can only add that because of
> the actions of our current director, the entire collection of
> the papers of Horace Grenell are now sitting in a bunch of
> boxes in his son's basement.

So also Eubie Blake's archives sitting in carboard boxes
somewhere in a City of Baltimore warehouse.

> While I will have nothing other than praise for Don Manildi,
> you might ask why they haven't made recordings of those rolls
> available.

Not unlike vast majority of special collections, the University
of Maryland likely has the same problems they all have with
inadequate staff, equipment, facilities and budgets.     It is
known that the UofM has about 4,000 music rolls in its
collections, none are known to have been recorded.    Acoustic
recordings are only possible if they happen to have at least 3
reproducing pianos for Ampico, Duo-Art and Welte rolls.    They
are known to have only an Ampico piano.

A much less costly option for all 4,000 rolls they might
consider is conversion of roll content into midi in such a
manner that not only can a faithful copy of the roll be recut if
desired, but also be "played" on most any solenoid type piano.
This is the archival preservation approach that I am taking with
paper music rolls.     I've archived some 5,000 so far.

> I am doing the best I can with the Welte rolls, and I have
> to do it on my own time.

I am very interested in what you are doing.   Perhaps we can
discuss this privately off-line.

>   Do you by any chance have the Lopatnikoff Welte Rolls?

I am aware of only 2 such rolls, both of which are likely not
hand played.     They have not yet passed through my hands, but
I will make suitable inquiries.   The ones I'm aware of are:

4152	Lopatnikoff, Nikolai	Scherzo, Originalkomposition für
mechanisches
4153	Lopatnikoff, Nikolai	Toccata für Klavier. Vom Komponisten
für

Stay tuned......

Regards,

Terry

Terry Smythe                           204-832-3982 (land line)
55 Rowand Avenue                   204-981-3229 (cell)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   R3J 2N6           smythe@xxxxxxx
Preserving a unique slice of our Musical Heritage
http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/rebirth.htm