Re: [ARSCLIST] I.R.E.N.E.

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Daniel Weiss commented

> > The Library of Congress, in an effort to preserve its collections of
> > recorded sound, is now evaluating a prototype device to extract sound
> > from phonograph records through digital imaging.
>
> Probably a similar approach:
>
> http://www.eif.ch/visualaudio/

----- actually no. VisualAudio relies on an intermediate carrier, a large-
format black-and white film sheet. Reproduction occurs by scanning and
conversion to digital image, but that is truly two-dimensional from the film.
I.R.E.N.E. is so far two-dimensional, but directly from the flat record.
Preservation-wise VisualAudio is much quicker, because the film becomes the
secondary medium and it does not need to be scanned and digitized until
needed. Access-wise you obviously need the digitization in a modern world.

Kind regards,

George