Re: [ARSCLIST] Can anyone...help the CBC with info on Melotone?

Rebecca Snow asks:

> I work for CBC television and am researching a documentary
> about a  family who lived in Winnipeg in the early 20th
> century.
>
> The head of the house worked as a cabinet maker for 'Melotone
> Talking Machine Co.'
>
> We'd like to expand on this in the documentary, but we don't
> have  any information on Melotone.
>
> The Henderson directory for Winnipeg in 1918 lists Melotone
> Talking Mach  Co Ltd  as "manufactures talking machines" with
> Mendel Lurie as manager.  It was located on 61 Heaton.
>
> I am wondering if you know anything about Melotone or talking
> machine cabinets in this period, or if you can refer me to
> anyone who might  be able to help?

I live in Winnipeg, and have passed this inquiry onto a
prominent, long-time phonograph collector Paul Horch here in
Winnipeg. His father was employed many years ago making
phonograph cabinets locally.   Paul tells me he's never heard of
Melotone, but will pass on this tid-bit of info onto other local
phonograph collectors.      Stay tuned......

Regards,

Terry Smythe

Terry Smythe                           204-832-3982 (land line)
55 Rowand Avenue                   204-981-3229 (cell)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   R3J 2N6           smythe@xxxxxxx
Preserving a unique slice of our Musical Heritage
http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/rebirth.htm