Re: [ARSCLIST] King Oliver/Louis Armstrong Gennett recordings

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Don Cox commented:

> On 03/06/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
>

> > The applicable question here is not too hard to define...though
> > difficult to answer! "Is it possible, using a recording of
> > admitted (but not accurately defined) sonic inaccuracy, to
> > recreate using digital methods an accurate recreation of
> > EXACTLY what was recorded using earlier inaccurate methods?!"

> You can't correct a problem until you have analysed it, identified it
> and studied it. Recordings have many different and independent faults.

----- I heartily agree! I would refer to a paper I gave in 2001:

"What Are the Sources of the Noises We Remove?" Proceedings of AES
20th Int. Conf. 'Archiving, Restoration, and New Methods of Recording',
 Eds. Z. Vajda, H. Pichler,  Budapest 5-7 October 2001, pp. 175-182.

In it I chastise the noise removal industry for using tools that are not
informed by the noise generation mechanism. Removing certain noises also
removes traces of signal, which might have been useful for source-critical
work.

Best wishes,

George