Re: [ARSCLIST] King Oliver/Louis Armstrong Gennett recordings

On 02/06/07, Dick Spottswood wrote:

> I've already recommended Rob Bamberger's radio presentation, audible
> through today on www.wamu.org.   I do so again.

I missed your post the first time, due to information overload.   ;-)

> Davies wasn't able to access original pressings in a number of cases;
> Doug Bension and Dave Sager combed the known universe for the best
> copies they could find, made speed adjustments, and used a number of
> stylus tips . The originals aren't transferred so much as transformed.
> Their Off the Record production makes the Retrieval set and other
> reissues obsolete. Really! I've even endorsed the cd in the notes, so
> I have no hesitation in shilling for it again.

Nice broadcast. They seem to be a good team.

I have added the CDs to my (long) wants list. It wasn't really possible
to judge the sound quality from a low bit rate Real Audio stream, but
what they have been doing is well worth the cost of the CDs to check
out.

It would be nice if they would tackle the Original Dixieland Jazz Band,
whose recordings are not easy to listen to, even in JRTD's transfers.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx