Re: [ARSCLIST] RIP: EMI / let's clear the air

Where can I get Irv's reminicences about his years at Capitol Classics ?

                                     Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Also Capitol's classical recordings by Irv Joel, plus the Blue Note jazz library, plus Capitol's
sometimes interesting jazz and pop library.

Also, EMI started the trend of big Euro companies gobbling up America's pioneering independent
record companies. Philips grabbed Mercury next. EMI handled Capitol smartly in a big way -- Capitol
execs made decisions about how USA Beatles albums were put together up until Sgt. Pepper. The
booklet in the latest "The Capitol Albums" set tells how US execs smartly put together shorter,
hit-driven LPs that sold millions of copies, more than the George Martin/Beatles-sequenced UK
albums. Biggest example is the Help/Rubber Soul/Beatles Yesterday and Today sequence. Capitol USA
sold 7 million LPs all told of those three. The songs comprised basically two UK LPs that didn't
sell nearly as many copies. Also, Capitol managed what some might have considered a glut of great
material for maximum hit and hype, so Beatlemania only gathered more steam heading into the
mid-60's. If EMI had imposed the European albums on the US audience, the Beatles might never have
been as big here. And EMI also understood they had a unique culture in the Capitol Tower and didn't
mess too much with success throughout the 60's. Compare to what the parent company was doing, and
the corporate culture (er, some would call it stiff and House of Lords-ish) vs. the freewheeling
L.A. style at the Tower.

-- Tom Fine