Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

On 26/05/07, David Lennick wrote:

> George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
>>
>>> In other words, can we take a 19th century acoustic recording, and
>>> infer from that what a stereo, full-fidelity recording of that sonic
>>> event would sound like...?!
>>
>> ----- that is not unlikely, but the noise-reducing tools will not
>> perform that. It would require analysis tools that could tell us
>> something about the reverberation in the original room and then model
>> a soundscape including a stereo perspective.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>

>> George
>>

> Some of us are still reeling from the memory of those gawdawful Caruso
> reconstructions. Don't forget..the "original room" was designed to
> produce the maximum amount of oomph and channel it into a horn.
> Mapleson cylinders would be about the only recordings where you might
> have a vague hope of reconstructing an acoustic worth hearing.

I would guess that in most cases, if not all, the original room was not
designed at all, apart from such things as putting the piano up on a
platform.

It would be amazing if anyone at Gennett thought for a moment about the
room acoustics. Somebody at Edison might have done.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx