Re: [ARSCLIST] was Mass Digitization-now why preserve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The ClassicFM radio station in the UK claims six million listeners.
> Admittedly this station concentrates on the more popular classical
> music, but those listeners can't all be in a social elite.

Well, our (GTA)"classical station," CFMX (IIRC) aka "Classical 97,"
seems to be financially flourishing...a change from the classics
having only been heard on obscure educational FM stations! OTOH,
the current station has a "playlist" of a relative handful of
well-known, often-heard musical works...and, at that, generally
single movements (or parts thereof), in order to duplicate the
flexibility (for commercial content...!) of pop-music radio!

As far as the 6,000,000 classical-music fans...it is VERY likely
that few are actually in a "social elite"...however, it is VERY
likely that about 5,999,900 of them aspire to belong thereto,
and thus want to be seen/heard listening to "upper class" music
(i.e. classical music...)!

Then, again...an unknown number may simply be unable to tolerate the
current "hit music" of the XXI Jahrhundert, and are thus searching
for available alternatives...?!