To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

At 05:42 AM 2007-05-23, Tom Fine wrote:
One thing to consider about CEDAR. You might want to buy some of the CBS/Sony reissues of their 78 catalog from the earlier era of CD's, for instance any of the 2CD Duke Ellington sets.

One could take just about any of the Bluebird/BMG recent reissues done by Doug Pomeroy to hear what I'm talking about. I think Doug is on-list and will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe his method is use well-cleaned metal parts whenever possible, play back very precisely and use digital tools judiciously in the computer after A-D conversion. Finally, I'm sure this is stating the obvious but even if you are successful in removing much of the background noise, a 78 still has very limited frequency response and will this never approach "fidelity" by the dictionary definition of being true to the source.

Hi, Tom,

I think Doug has CEDAR (not Cambridge) and I really think that what you are seeing are people who are in love with the tools, listen for the wrong thing, and don't realize what they are doing wrong. Also, my taste is minimal and even my minimal taste may be too much for some people. I don't think we can fault the tools as much as the operational tradeoffs applied to them.

While I don't use CEDAR processing, I do use Algorithmix and find it to be a useful tool when properly applied.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx