Re: [ARSCLIST] Mass Digitization

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    ***To me, a library SHOULD serve two functions. The first is to provide its patrons with a selection of reading and/or reference materials which should enable those parties to: (1) have "something to read" should that urge strike them, and (2) find answers to any questions they may have. There is also a third implied function (since, presumably, no one else is doing so) of collecting and preserving details of local/ area history for future reference.

  Here in Austin, we have a local History Center. Given their budget, they do a remarkably fine job at preserving local history. However there is certainly room for the public library to devote more of its efforts to the acquisition and preservation of local intellectual history.

***It is entirely possible that by 2050 someone (from whom I have great pity...!) will have compiled and published (whatever that may mean in 2050...) "The Complete Discography Of '101 Strings'" including personnels and other details.

  Steven, obviously you have forgotten that I collect 101 Strings Albums and believe they deserve an entire book devoted to them!

***So...is some local-interest neo-punk band, doomed to issue a
single CD of which about nine copies are sold before giving
up and abandoning music as a career, worth documenting in
detail? What if one of the members elects to stay with music
and later becomes part of a "superstar" aggregation?

For me, it really doesn't matter if one of the musicians becomes a superstar or not. Should not a local library collect locally made recordings. You can get the "standards" online for very little money. Should not the library look to collecting unique (or relatively unique) materials.

  Karl