Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Business vs. Music Business: The Shakeout Continues.

see end...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In spite of this discouraging forecast...there still exist two vital realities!

First, with each new group of "youth," there will be...in fact, MUST be...
a new genre of music! This may be, like to-days, a "new" genre essentially
based on what has gone before...or it COULD be, as it was in 1916-18,
1935-36, and c. 1955, a COMPLETELY different style of music, rendering
virtually all of its musical predecessors effectively obsolete and
"passe!"

Second, each new generation has to move on from the previous generation!
The fact that we loathed the music of our parents (regardless of whether
or not we eventually accepted it...) is a built-in "given" which ensures
that our species will continue to develop and move forward!

The "brand-new" music of the 1990's and 2000's turned out to be a tired
rehash of music done better the first time around (see under "James Brown!"

I am still waiting for a TOTALLY new approach to music (i.e. the difference
between "Rock Around the Clock" and "Doggie In the Window"...).

If we are going to continue recycling a musical "same old, same old..."
we are musically "spinning our wheels" and thus wasting our efforts!

So...?!?!