[ARSCLIST] Birgit Nilsson records a cylinder

To support a response to an article in a sort of e-zine, I have reposted at
http://www.operas-are.us/
a page of my WWW site of some years ago. In 1966, the great dramatic soprano Birgit Nilsson recorded a portion of an aria on an Edison cylinder machine of about 1895; I have paired that with a recording of a live performance of the aria from the same period.

You may find the result of interest. The article and my reply deal with what one can and cannot learn from such historic recordings.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/