[ARSCLIST] May Issue of Black Grooves

The May issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org.

This month we're featuring several multiple-part posts exploring the topics of Atlanta rap (with Ludacris and T.I.), underground white rap (with Brother Ali, Evidence, and El-P), and female gospel artists who have traversed both the secular and sacred traditions (Patti LaBelle, Ann Nesby, and Helen Baylor). We're also highlighting a new album by acoustic soul artist Ruthie Foster who hails from Texas. Wrapping up this issue are some '70s flashbacks including a new DVD featuring a live concert by War, and Sony/Legacy's 40th anniversary celebration of Sly & the Family Stone in the form of limited edition bonus-packed reissues of their best albums.

We hope you enjoy the May issue. Please forward this message to your friends and colleagues, and be sure to contact us if you have suggestions for future issues.

Black Grooves is a music review site hosted by the Archives of African American Music & Culture (AAAMC) at Indiana University. Our goal is to promote black music by providing our readers and subscribers with monthly updates on interesting new releases and quality reissues in all genres─including gospel, blues, jazz, funk, soul, and hip-hop-as well as classical music composed or performed by black artists. We feature reviews of some of the best new discs and DVDs, with an occasional book or news item thrown in for good measure. An extra effort is made to track down releases by indie, underground, foreign, and other small labels that don't get covered in the mainstream media. Our primary focus will be on African American music, but we'll be happy to cover anything else that's sent our way, from Afro-pop to reggae.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

Smith Research Center, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

bnelsons@xxxxxxxxxxx