From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Miss Q
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:37 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] SACD fans -- some discounts

There was a tax on minidiscs for that purpose. I remember reading about it
in Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry by Clinton
Heylin.
http://www.amazon.com/Bootleg-Secret-History-Recording-Industry/dp/031214289
7/ref=sr_1_1/103-7962881-0934252?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178159599&sr=8-1
That was published in 96, apparently there is a 2004 version I haven't read
but  now will have to.
I should revist the book, but it completely informed my arguments about when
taping/copying hurts artists and when it helps (ie bootlegging shows vs
pirating recordings, the fact that they can't lose money on a person who
would have never bought the music anyway) There is a Wikipedia article on
the Private Copying Levy but I don't know what aspects of that have changed
with the DMCA/new media.

Courtney B
www.nycpopfest.com

--