Re: [ARSCLIST] SACD fans -- some discounts

Hi Jeffrey

On 02/05/2007 you wrote;

JK> The music industry as a whole are merely reaping what they've sown. The
JK> artists and the consumers are the ones hurt in the end.

This is not really the place to discuss this subject, but I can't let
this one go unheeded :) .

People have always blamed the 'music industry' when sales drop.
Heaven knows, the industry is not exactly blameless for all sorts of
things, but the public also had a role in todays poor sales.

With the possibility of every computer in the world being capable of
making music at low cost, there has been a huge upsurge in people
doing just that. Their output is posted on any one, or several,
websites (SoundClick, MySpace, et al) and freely available for
listening or download. OK - a lot of it is pretty worthless, but there
are plenty of gems among the dross.

Couple that with the availability of almost any piece of music, you
might think of, being illegally available for download via P2P sites
and it's easy to understand how a large section of the public has come
to believe there is no value in music and that it *should* be free to
all.

Worse still, owners and promoters of venues that put on live music are
of the same opinion and many of them simply won't pay the going rate.
They've been aided in this by the technology to make a single person
sound like a full orchestra (at a relatively low cost). Hence, where a
number of musicians were once employed, you will now find a solo
artist - at best, a duo.

Without the money, there can be no development of musicians. It's
harder to make a living out of playing music today than it ever was
before. In fact, I'd say it was nigh on impossible for the average
jobbing musician to make a living out of music as a full time
professional. Forty years ago, I could earn somewhere between £35-50 a
night (as a member of a band) - a not insubstantial sum of money at
the time. Today, I count myself lucky if I can get a gig for ?50.
Forty years on and I'm earning the same, or less, money and a lot less
often! Where's the future in that for todays young players?

The saddest thing is the public who attend these venues don't even
care very much. They are just as happy with a poor solo act (with
backing tracks of dubious quality, downloaded illegally) as they would
be with a ten piece band. That's because people don't really *listen*
anymore, music has become a sort of 'wallpaper', against which the
public does other things, like eating or drinking.

So, blame the music industry if you want, but the real problems are
brought about by the artists and the consumers themselves. The artists
for making their music freely available (because it's just about the
only way they can get heard) and the consumers for not wanting to pay
for it.

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye@xxxxxxxxx

Audio Restoration