Re: [ARSCLIST] Sounds of Slavery

Throwing dirt on Lomax doesn't seem to address the question of whether recordings exist of slaves previous to the 1930s. Recording technology was present for over 40/50 years before the 1930s. Did unknown individuals make attempts to capture the sounds of slaves previously to the 1930s? Are there historical recordings out there that fill this void?

You would have to imagine that this is a possibility.

I think that was more the original question.

I wonder if there is a productive answer out there.

Bertram Lyons

Project Manager / Dissemination Coordinator
Association for Cultural Equity
Alan Lomax Archive
450 West 41st Street, Room 606
New York, NY 10036