Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 player for public

Paul Tyler wrote:

I don't know what it all means. But I don't think it does me any good.

IMHO, what it means is that for the purpose one must select format and device together. I would suggest tabulating the advantages and disadvantages of the various formats for the purpose: quality, efficiency, likelihood of survival, etc. Review the parameters of the devices on the market against your needs: cost, durability, simplicity, resistance to theft, etc. Then determine the best match among the parameters for the task at hand. Throw in a consideration of the headphones to be used - efficiency and fidelity at least - before locking in on a player. (Some players will have only low power available, demanding that the phones be either low volume or low fidelity - or both.)

For example, the iPod nano has many features, one of which is the ease with which it can slip out of the facility's control. MP3 is a virtuous format, but since it is 32-bit (floating-point), a file is likely to be larger for a given quality than would be one in another format.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/