Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 player for public

Mark,

Have you spoken to Espro? They seem to be very focused on exactly what you
want to do. (http://www.espro.com/)

Failing that, you might want to contact some of the Rockbox developers about
creating a plugin to do what you want. Rockbox firmware is rather unique as
it works on a number of devices and is under quite constant development, so
one device going out of production wouldn't be catastrophic. You would be at
the mercy of open source development however but it allows the use of low
cost off the shelf devices.

Another option is to have something customized for you. This company
(http://www.logoyouraudio.com/mp3.html) focuses on branding, but what you
want isn't a major customization (basically locking out any menus save
volume and allowing only one playlist, with playback only upon track
selection). I've also seen something called Museum411
(http://www.museum411.com/) that has users utilize their mobiles to access
audio tours. IMO though the *last* thing a museum wants to do is *encourage*
mobile usage.

Finally, the Melbourne Museum is apparently using Bluetooth to stream MP3s
to visitors. VERY neat idea, no idea of cost.
(http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Museum-audio-tour-streams-M
P3-over-Bluetooth/0,130061791,120281843,00.htm)

@Don,

Many car stereos (including factory radios!) now include the ability to burn
a CD of MP3s and play files that way. Many more include iPod interfaces and
the ability to control the device. IMO this is the best way to go as it
means not managing two MP3 libraries.

Another option is the Phatnoise Phatbox which interfaces to numerous factory
car audio systems as well as Sony Unilink compatible radios. This is a
wonderful system as it voice prompts you and will speak artist
names/playlist names. The company is now more into OEM integration and their
MP3 product seems to be on the back burner but it is still available.

The only dedicated in car mp3 unit I know of was called the Empeg. It's no
longer available and is quite the cult item as it ran on Linux and is
eminently customizable.