Re: [ARSCLIST] A stinky puzzle

Practically all film is on an acetate base. Slide film and negatives are
usually stored in ways that provide more than adequate ventilation or absorption
of the acetic acid so vinegar syndrome doesn't seem to be a problem,  but it
certainly is for movie film.

Kodak magnetic tape smelled strongly of acetic acid when it was new, even
the polyester base. The entire plant where it was manufactured did. I haven't
seen degradation of even the triacetate based tape in my possession, but you
had  better have good ventilation where you open a sealed bag of the stuff.

I just checked reels of Kodak 21A (2), 21P, 31A, and Eastman A 301.   The
Durol (A - Triacetate) is translucent, though less so than other acetate.  The P
tape is definitely opaque. One of the acetate reels was in an unsealed
plastic bag and it, and the 10" reels of 31A and A301 in their boxes,  definitely
smelled of vinegar while the 21A unbaked in its box and the 21P did  not
noticeably. I didn't try to run the tape to check condition but the packs  were
uneven and there was a note in one indicating it was warped whenever it was  last
used, probably a decade or two ago.

It is possible that the high concentration of acetic acid in a  sealed bag of
slides and tape might damage the slides.

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 4/20/2007 2:27:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,