Re: [ARSCLIST] Spoken Arts records

Since I got a copy of my previous message, it appears that the way to send a message is to do it as a reply, so here goes:

Dear ARCLIST members,

At the suggestion of Jane Klain, at the Museum of Television and Radio, I am asking all of you for help in locating kinescope materials for the following important live dramatic anthology programs which were packaged and produced by our company, Showcase Productions, Inc., for NBC's Producers' Showcase series. (The full story is at www.showcaseproductions.com) NBC recognizes us as the copyright owner, and has signed a number of access agreements to materials for these programs. While we have whatever ownership rights NBC had, our interest is in getting access so that we can work our kinescope digital mastering and restoration magic; we will return both the materials and a first-rate digital clone of our master. If any of you have any concerns about our rights, rest assured that you can check with NBC, the MT&R, and (we hope, if they didn't lose the paperwork I sent them) the LOC, and that we will furnish copies of the documents to you. The missing programs,all from the Producers' Showcase series, are

I. PROGRAMS WITH PARTIAL MATERIALS

1. "ROSALINDA" (7/23/56) - Edwin Lester Los Angeles-San Francisco Light Opera Association, produced by Edwin Lester, directed by Bob Banner, music by Johnann Strauss (Fledermaus), written by Sid Kuller, from the Max Reinhardt-Erich Korngold version of "Die Fledermaus), book by Gottfried Reinhardt and John Mechan Jr., lyrics by Paul Kerby and Sid Kuller, choreography by Todd Bolender, design by Oliver Smith, with Cyril Ritchard, Jean Fenn, Sig Arno, Wiere Brothers, Lois Hunt, Robert Wright, Thomas Hayward, Ralph Dumke. We hve the mag track but no video.

II. NO MATERIALS YET LOCATED

2. "REUNION IN VIENNA" (4/4/55) - 1931 smash hit Broadway play by Robert E. Sherwood, adapted for television by David Shaw, produced by Fred Coe, Guest Producer Jean Dalrylmple, directed by Vincent Donehue, Associate Director Dominick Dunne, sets by Ter-Arutunian, costumes by Guy Kent; story of banished Austrian archduke who returns to Vienna for reunion of the old nobility and reunites with his former love, now married to a psychoanalyst; stars Greer Garson, Brian Aherne, Peter Lorre, Cathleen Nesbitt, Lili Darvis, Herbert Berghof, George Voskovec, Nehemiah Persoff, Robert Flemyng, Tamara Daykarhanova, and Gene Saks in a bit part as a waiter

3. "THE KING AND MRS. CANDLE" (4/22/55) - musical play based on Sumner Locke Elliott's original television play originally presented on Philco Television Playhouse on 4/18/54, produced by Fred Coe, directed by Arthur Penn, written by Sumner Locke Elliott, dances choreographed by Tony Charmoli, music by Moose Charlap, lyrics by Chuck Sweeny; two songs (Young Ideas, What is the Secret of Your Success? recorded by RCA; deposed king of Brandovia, whose inhabitants spend their time exporting bologna and repelling invasions by neighboring Carps and Gloats, finds his way to America, where he earns a living as a dancing instructor, pursued by his former royal fiancee who still has the valuable pearls he gave her, with the king marrying commoner Mrs. Candle and returning with her to his now peaceful kingdom; with Cyril Ritchard, Joan Greenwood, Theodore Bikel, Richard Haydn, Irene Manning.

4. "CYRANO DE BERGERAC" (10/17/55) - Joseph Schrank adaptation of Brian Hooker adaptation of Edmond Rostand classic, produced and staged by Jose Ferrer, directed by Kirk Browning, production supervised by Donald Davis and Dorothy Matthews; story of professional soldier with extraordinarily long nose and his unrequited love for the fair Roxanne who woos her for her suitor, who dies on the battlefield, after which the stricken Roxanne enters a convent, visited over the years by the ever-faithful Cyrano until she realizes, too late, that it was his soul that she loved all along; stars Jose Ferrer, Claire Bloom, Christopher Plummer, Jacques Aubuchon, John McQuade, William Woodson, Paul Lawrence, Robert Carroll, Will Kuluva, Eric Sinclair

5. "DODSWORTH" (4/30/56) - based on novel by Sinclair Lewis, adapted as 1934 Broadway play by Sidney Howard, adapted for television by David Shaw, produced and directed by Alex Segal; story of Midwest industrialist who lets wife obsessed with youth bully him into retirement and a grand European tour, eventually seeing through her, her promiscuity, and the pretensions of European society and leaving for a civilized widow; starred Frederic March, Claire Trevor, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Regis Toomey, Olive Sturgess, Clyde Lockert, Celia Lofsky.

Many thanks for your help.

Alex Kogan

Showcase Productions

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Kogan" <alexjr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>