Re: [ARSCLIST] Half-vast wasteland--was: Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Abrams" <steveabrams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
It is surprising Steven Barr has forgotten that there was a much admired "Chicago School" of television in the late 'forties and early 'fifties. The leading representatives included Studs Terkel, whose show was called "Stud's Place", Dave Garroway and, of course, Burr Tilstrom. (There is an excellent and comprehensive website for "Kukla, Fran and Ollie.")l
Steve Abrams (aged 68)

No...although I did live in Chicago 1949-54, our family didn't have a TV
(probably for financial reasons) so the only way I could watch TV was by
visiting one of our TV-owning neighbours...which was usually to watch
programs like "Howdy Doody." I had, of course, HEARD of "Kukla..." but
don't remember ever actually watching the show....!

Steven C. Barr

There's an excellent book on the pre-1948 history of television. Chicago, New York, London, Los Angeles all had innovative television production beginning in the 1930s and not all of it was suspended during WWII. I'll get title and author info as soon as can get upstairs.

dl