Re: [ARSCLIST] Half-vast wasteland--was: Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
> Omnibus , NBC Playhouse , Project 54, CBS and NBC news documentaries by
> the score, Hallmark Playhouse, to nane a few !
> Show me anything that's on the commercial networks that can compare
> today !

Well, that was JUST before my time...our family acquired a TV set in
late 1954. However, in the early fifties TV owners were mostly from
the higher classes of society, since a set cost $400-500 (as, oddly
enough, it still does...though the current one is colour, has a 27"
screen and stereo sound...) and such a price was out of reach for
the "masses," who could (if male, anyway) watch sports at their
regular tavern. As well, the limited number of licenses meant
that almost all TV stations were in large cities. These factors
provided a demographic that could/would support the programming
which you cite...