Re: [ARSCLIST] Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

My point was, they don't even want to see in 3D. It's an experience of no interest to the younger generation. Their interest are convenience and instant/random access.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Slides and inconvenient media (was spin it again)

Providing one can see in 3D.

Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine"
Stereo slides are amazing and my father took many of them. Yeah, I'll scan em
so everyone can have
digipix, but I already took the viewer and restored it (battery had corroded
in it but it was
fixable) and will be keeping those boxes for myself one day.

As for slide shows, a well-edited showing of slides is great but few people do
them well. I'll
probably end up with the carousels and the projector so I can enjoy them from
time to time. The
digitization is important, in my opinion, so the neices and nephews have some
idea of where they
came from and what their grandparents were like. Kids today have no experience
with slides or indeed
with almost any imagery beyond movie theatres that is not displayed on a CRT
or LCD display, so they
have no reference to "miss" a slideshow. This is akin to the fact that we now
have an adult
generation that never experienced LP's.

My father (who was a bit of a "photography nut" in the days when he had
money) also owned one of these "stereo" cameras. As I recall, the make was
Stereo Realist...and the format simply paired two standard 35mm slide
images using a "dual slide" mount. They could be projected, but NOT in
3-D...and NOT by standard slide projectors.

However, the images, when properly viewed (as with ViewMaster 3D "discs"
and old double-picture "stereographs") certainly add to their impact!

We're still waiting for an image/viewer format that will allow the
display of true 3D images on existing computer monitors...!

Steven C. Barr

"If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job"

Dave Von Kleist