Re: [ARSCLIST] (dream) restoration phono preamp opinions wanted

on 4/5/07 6:17 AM US/Central, George Brock-Nannestad at pattac@xxxxxxxx
wrote:

> However, the real remedy is to use the CEDAR AZX Azimuth corrector, which is
> a misnomer. It will correct the inter-channel time delay of a tape played
> with an azimuth different from the original headstack, but obviously it
> cannot sensibly recreate the treble removed by the scanning loss. So it is
> actually an inter-channel re-synchronizer, and it works to a fraction of a
> sample. This means that you can click-reduce your right and left as
> previously, and then you use the CEDAR box to obtain a signal that may then
> be added and subsequently suitably EQd. I have only heard rumours that one or
> the other sound restorer uses this feature, but I find it essential (and have
> one).

George, please let me dispel any rumors!

This is exactly what I was describing; originally I did this with the CEDAR
AZ-1, but now I use CEDAR Cambridge Phase Corrector module. CEDAR have
renamed the process, since 'azimuth correction' was not as accurate as
'phase correction'.

All of the processes I described previously are the ones I now use in CEDAR
Cambridge (with optional modules). Note that I find it helpful to
auto-balance L-R levels as part of the processing chain, prior to summing.

And now that we have gone brand-specific, perhaps we'll hear from others
using Cube-Tec, etc.

http://www.cube-tec.com/vpis/restorationvpis/azimuth.html

--
Parker Dinkins