Re: [ARSCLIST] Cleaning Procedures: Wire Recordings

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

there were four kinds of wire for wire recorders:

 - a carbon steel wire (like an e-string for a violin) pre- WorldWar2 - this
had a smooth surface but was prone to corrosion. Vaseline or other anti-
corrosive treatment would keep it sound

 - a stainless steel wire predominantly used by the military

 - a brass wire with a plated magnetic layer - this did not have a smooth
surface but would also not corrode

 - a pure nickel wire: smooth (this was available in Europe, I do not know
about the US

 - the bobbins I have seen have been nickeled brass or zinc.

A bit of lubrication was good in all cases.

But like Richard Warren I wonder why a wire needs to be cleaned. There could
be dust or mud on the wire, and that would obviously wear the head, but that
would only need wiping like Richard says. Will these wires ever be played? Or
is it for exhibition purposes? In the latter case, an ultrasound bath with
freon (or a modern substitute) would be better, because you would not risk
entanglement.

Kind regards,

George